I have ALWAYS been attracted to older people. This fact used to on the one hand, reassure my parents and on the other hand, freak them out a bit. I always had older friends and very few friends my age. I had NO friends younger than me.
Now I was a bit of an old soul but as I matured and as people my age have matured it has become easier to be friends with them, regardless of how old they are.
I do find that age is only a number but on the other hand it is so much more.
My 40plus friends are so much more comfortable with who they are. I find that they just get more and more beautiful with age. I find them less judgemental. I find them way more at ease with who they are and with who others are in relation to them. I find them fascinating and wise and quite frankly, just FANTASTIC.
My 30plus friends are kind of where I am in my life with many, many things. They are young-ish parents, they are coming into their own and at this stage there is just SO MUCH in common in terms of the struggles we face.
I have never been able to be friends with younger people until recently. I think it generally had a lot to do with where we were in our lives. Even now, the younger friends that I have are all Moms. And they all seem to be hippies and earth Mommy-types.
I don’t generally need to have a common interest with someone to be their friend, BUT I find that with my 20plus friends, it does come in handy.
I do try not to be conscious of the fact that some of them are “younger” in age and in the last while this is what I’ve learnt about friendship and age:
- Age really is just a number.
- In order for ANY friendship to thrive there needs to be mutual respect and a sincere connection between the parties, regardless of their ages.
- I have limited and closed myself off to MANY friendships over the years because of being “age-ist” and I have missed out on so much!
- Being older doesn’t necessarily mean that someone is more mature. I’ve met some 40year olds who behave like 12 year olds and I’ve met some 22year olds who are just fascinating and dynamic and so, so mature.
- Even though I’m friends with women in their early 20s, I STILL can’t be friends with MUCH YOUNGER women i.e. anyone under 21. It’s just weird for me.
Is age an issue for you when it comes to friendship? Do you gravitate towards older or younger friends? How old is your oldest friend and how old is your youngest friend?
Ps…my oldest friend is 55. I LOVE her. My youngest friend is 24. I LOVE her too!.
Pps..I planned ONE friend date for the month and I didn’t even get to set it up yet. Because just THIS PAST WEEK ALONE, I went on THREE friend dates – this excludes the one where I invited friend M over. They were ALL impromptu. My love tank is just sooooo full at the moment.