My weekend was a kind of like a mixed-bag of sweets.
Some of the sweets were delicious and chocolatey and gooey, like those ones that you want to eat forever and ever. Other sweets in the weekend bag were those sour hard-boiled ones that just won’t dissolve no matter how much you suck on them! The ones that burn your mouth and your nose and your eyes and just burn burn burn. I often wonder about those sweets. Why are they called sweets if they are bitter and sour and not actually sweet?
Friday evening we had a family meeting. My in-laws got together to discuss the way forward with MIL. It was a bit painful for my poor DH (I felt bad for him) but he heard what he needed to hear and he took it in his stride.
My Saturday was lovely – I spent it with some divine women, and in the evening, my DH, the kids and I all crawled into our big bed (nice and early) with our books and a few snacks.
My Sunday was quite draining, mainly because I spent it with my in-laws. I guess that’s why it was draining. My DH and I finished a bottle of wine when we got home. We were drowning our sorrows and celebrating our progress at the same time. Kind of a happysad situation.
BUT. At least we made progress with MIL, and all that we can do now is to maintain the boundaries that have been set (which we will do) and take it from there.
I have learned this weekend that old people are damn hard work. And that if I should ever be in a situation where I need to remarry (goodness me, I really hope NOT), then I will make sure that I stay at least 1500km away from my in-laws.
My DH and I (over our bottle of wine last night) actually googled retirement villages for the two of us because we really cannot see ourselves draining our kids. So far, this is our favourite one – it’s right by the beach. I wonder if they have a waiting list that we can put ourselves on?
Anyway. I am looking forward. And upwards. I feel strangely positive and even upbeat. And alive. Yes, I know that sounds very weird.
And so this week, I have some things planned that I really need to finish, which is good. Distractions are good sometimes. This is what I have planned:
- Project Assistance for Child1 – project due on Friday – the written part is all done, we want to finish the practical part by Wednesday latest.
- Touch base with Child2’s teacher – she needs to give me certain feedback in order for me to make a decision – I am seeing her on Wednesday.
- Check what clothing my kids have for winter and make lists of any winter clothing that I may need to buy for them – I hope to do this on Thursday.
- Clean my desk that is currently looking like a pigsty – I am doing this right now!
- Return ALL paper books to shelf. There are a number of them ALL OVER MY HOUSE at the moment. I have no idea how that happens – I rarely read paper books these days – this is a job for tomorrow evening, although I’ve started to make Child2 collect the books that are not on the shelf. He is LOVING this little job at the moment.
How are you doing?
Did you have a good weekend?
How are relations with your in-laws at the moment?
When last did you have a happysad situation?
What’s on your to-do list this week?