I have been slacking in the reading department. There are various reasons for this – am a bit lazy, am tired and I have no time because I am very caught up in my current knitting project. I am also watching Bones Season 1 while I knit and I am thoroughly enjoying that! Basically, I need to tweak my schedule so I can manage to fit in an hour of reading every night.
Anyway. I was reading Marcia’s post earlier and it made me think about what (for me) constitutes a bad book.
This is what I could come up with:
- A bad book takes FOREVER to get to the point.
- A bad book has an ending that was NOT well-thought out.
- A bad book is one that doesn’t make me think long and hard about my own views on the subject matter. I need a book to stay with me for WEEKS afterwards. THAT, for me, is the sign of a good book.
- A bad book is one where the author rambles on and on and on. See point 1.
- A bad book is one where there is no cohesion and there are too many “little” stories in-between that I am apparently meant to “tie-up” at some point. Seriously. I work hard and I’m tired a lot. I can’t be doing this. Give it to me straight already!
- A bad book is one where the characters are somewhat underdeveloped and zero-dimensional. I LOVE characters and their behaviours and little quirks and nuances. It irritates me when the character is too “surface-like” or shallow.
Now I do realise that this is all subjective, because one person’s bad book could very well be another person’s masterpiece. We do all favour different genres, so that would also play a role in what we each consider a “bad” book.
I usually give a book a chance for 2 (maybe 3) chapters and if I am still not feeling it at that point, then I move on. Unless of course a book was given to me as a gift! Then I just CANNOT get myself to move on. I always feel like I need to be prepared just in case the person who gave it to me asks questions!
Other than that, I am one of those people who find it EASY to write off a book – I REALLY think that life’s too short to read books that are NOT doing it for you.
What (for you) constitutes a bad book? Do you find it easy to put a book down and move on if you’re not feeling it? And do you feel OBLIGATED to finish a gift book even if it is TERRIBLE??
Actually. Do you even read??? I ask this question because I recently wanted to buy a book gift for someone and then they told me that they don’t read, so I must please NOT buy them any books!